Is there movement on a new Cosmos stadium development? With the state showing signs of finally addressing Belmont Park development proposals, we could see some sort of decision on the NASL team’s $400-million plan.
There was a rally featuring 150 union members, civic activists and business owners supporting the team’s proposal for a 25,000-seat soccer stadium, a 175-room hotel and retail development, at the state-owned property in Elmont. It’s been three years since the team’s ownership proposed the plan after the Empire State Development Corp. asked for bids for the 36-acre site. And while the ESD did ask bidders to offer revised information, there’s basically been no action at all on any sort of proposal since February 2013.
The rally was designed to focus attention on the topic, and it worked. From Newsday:
“This will be a destination 365 days a year,” said Erik Stover, chief operating officer of the Cosmos. “If we do this here, there will be more jobs. And more jobs mean more housing in the community.”
Stover previously said the Cosmos were considering alternative locations across the region for the stadium if the state did not make a decision soon. But after state officials re-engaged with bidders last year, Stover said he is focused exclusively on Belmont and expects a decision soon….
Union members, who held a similar rally at Belmont last October, carried signs Tuesday reading “We Want Answers” and “Elmont Needs Good Jobs.” The Cosmos say the project would create more than 500 construction jobs and more than 3,000 permanent positions.
It is unusual that the state would solicit bids on such a high-profile project and then take absolutely no action — acceptance, denial — on the proposals.
RELATED STORIES: Labor: Time to decide on Cosmos stadium plan; Cosmos renew push for new stadium, development; No news on the new New York Cosmos stadium front; With no MLS, Cosmos to map future; As NASL season begins, Cosmos stadium plan in limbo