FC Cincinnati and Columbus Crew could be the beneficiaries of a decision by Gov. Mike DeWine allowing MLS stadiums to host fans up to 30 percent capacity when their seasons open in April and May.
Besides impacting the two Ohio MLS teams, approvals would impact the Cleveland Indians at Progressive Field and Cincinnati Reds at Great American Ball Park, as well as five Ohio minor league baseball teams (Akron RubberDucks, Columbus Clippers, Dayton Dragons, Lake County Captains and Toledo Mud Hens). From Cincinnati.com:
DeWine said he spoke to the Indians and Reds last week and will be speaking this week to all minor-league teams in the state to go over the plan. But DeWine cautioned that all teams must come up with plans that have mask mandates and proper social distancing protocols before approved to allow fans.
The full announcement is expected on Thursday, DeWine said.
With masks and the event taking place outdoor, “we think that 30% is a logical place to start, provided they can also have the distancing that is required,” he said. “What we have told them is we want to see your plan and we’ll review the plan. Their local health department, county health department will review the plan as well.”